Home Alone is an American written and produced by John Hughes and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film stars Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister an 8-year-old boy, who is left behind when his family are on a trip to Paris.
While initially by himself, he is eventually greeted by two burglars, Harry and Marv, who are played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern, respectively.
The McCallister family prepares to spend Christmas with Peter and Frank's brother, Rob, in Paris, France, gathering at Peter and Kate's home in Chicago the night before their flight. 8-year-old Kevin, Peter and Kate's youngest son, finds himself the subject of ridicule by his cousins and siblings.
During dinner, which happens to be pizza, Buzz feigns vomiting on the floor after eating Kevin's cheese pizza on purpose. After reacting calmly at first, Kevin runs over and tackles him. Buzz is pushed back, accidentally spilling milk on the airline tickets and passports. Kate eagerly breaks up the scuffle, pays the pizza boy, and sends Kevin to the third floor bedroom of the house as a punishment, where Kevin wishes his family would disappear. During the night, high winds pick up, causing a tree branch to fall over and land on an electrical wire, resulting in a power outage. The family sleeps in and desperately rushes to pack their stuff to catch the vans that will take them to the airport. A neighbor boy named Mitch Murphy is mistaken for Kevin in a head count, and the family hastily departs to the Chicago O'Hare International Airport, for a flight to Paris-Orly Airport.
During the flight, Kate realizes that they have left Kevin behind, and once everyone is in Paris, she immediately attempts to book a return flight back to Chicago. Kate manages to fly into Dallas and Scranton, but the flight to Chicago was cancelled. Desperate to return home, she is overheard by a man named Gus Polinski and his polka band, the Kenosha Kickers, who are driving to Milwaukee after their flight was canceled. Kate accepts and rides with the polka band.
Meanwhile, Kevin wakes up to find the house empty and is overjoyed to find that his wish came true. He gets away with stealing Buzz's life savings, practicing shooting Buzz's BB gun, jumping on the bed, watching Angels With Filthy Souls, and eating a large amount of junk food including a large ice cream sundae. However, Kevin finds himself scared by the appearance of the Chicago Police Department (called by his parents to check on Kevin via pay phone from Paris-Orly), his next door neighbor "Old Man" Marley, who was rumored to have murdered his family many years earlier by Buzz, and the appearance of The Wet Bandits, Harry Lyme and Marv Merchants, who are breaking into other vacant houses along the block.
The Wet Bandits are aware of which houses are vacant, as Harry posed as a police officer doing wellness checks on families before the holidays earlier in the film. On Christmas Eve, Kevin manages to overhear Harry and Marv discuss plans for breaking into his house that night. After speaking with a fake Santa Claus and going to a church, where he sees a local choir perform in hopes to have his family return, Kevin encounters Marley, and comes to discover that he is a very friendly man and that none of the rumors about him are true. Kevin finds out that Marley has been estranged from his son for quite some time after an argument for an unknown reason many years before Kevin and his family moved next door and suggests that he reunite with him for Christmas.
His own spirits lifted by encouraging Marley, Kevin returns home to prepare a series of booby traps about the house before 9:00 pm. Harry and Marv, who were initially deceived by Kevin's illusions that the house is occupied, now realize that he is home alone and attempt to break in, running into the various traps. After springing almost every trap in the house, Kevin flees to the second floor of the house, and dials 9-1-1 from a landline.
Harry and Marv manage to chase Kevin out of the house; he then flees to the vacant neighboring home, which was unlocked and unoccupied. The Wet Bandits trap Kevin when he runs to the top of the stairs connecting the basement and the first floor. They decide to do the same things that Kevin did to them and Harry decides to bite Kevin's fingers off one at a time first, but Marley sneaks in and knocks them out unconscious with his snow shovel, thus saving Kevin's life, and takes Kevin home. Shortly after Kevin is returned home safely, Harry and Marv are arrested. Additionally, the police were aware of every house The Wet Bandits have targeted due to Marv's habit of leaving the household's water running to leave their mark. Kevin then places some cookies and milk on a table, having set up Christmas all by himself.
Kevin wakes up the next morning to find that his mother has come back as Kevin reconciles with her. Shortly after that, the rest of the McCallisters, having traveled directly to Chicago from Paris, arrive. Kevin and Buzz have a moment of reconciliation. Kevin informs his family that he bought groceries and laundry supplies while the rest of the family was away, but keeps silent about his encounter with Harry and Marv. However, Peter finds Harry's missing gold tooth and wonders what it is.
Kevin then goes over to the window and smiles upon discovering that Marley took his advice, and watches as he and his son reunite and reconcile. While hugging his granddaughter, Marley looks up, sees Kevin and, smiling, waves to him as a sign of thanking him, and Kevin, also grinning, waves back. At the end of the film, Buzz interrupts Kevin's musings by calling out, "Kevin, what did you do to my room?!"
Immediately as Kevin runs off, the credits begin to roll.
- Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister
- Joe Pesci as Harry Lime
- Daniel Stern as Marvin Murchens
- John Heard as Peter McCallister
- Roberts Blossom as Old Man Marley
- Catherine O'Hara as Kate McCallister
- Angela Goethals as Linnie McCallister
- Devin Ratray as Buzz McCallister
- Gerry Bamman as Frank McCallister
- Hillary Wolf as Megan McCallister
- John Candy as Gus Polinski
- Larry Hankin as Officer Balzak
- Michael C. Maronna as Jeff McCallister
- Kristin Minter as Heather McCallister
- Daiana Campeanu as Sondra McCallister
- Jedidiah Cohen as Rod McCallister
- Kieran Culkin as Fuller McCallister
- Senta Moses as Tracy McCallister
- Anna Slotky as Brooke McCallister
- Terrie Snell as Leslie McCallister
- Jeffrey Wiseman as Mitch Murphy
- Virginia Smith as Georgette McCallister
- Matt Doherty as Steffan
- Ralph Foody as Johnny
- Michael Guido as Snakes
- Ray Toller as Rob McCallister
- Billie Bird as Irene
- Bill Erwin as Ed
- Gerry Becker and Victor Cole as Officers
- Porscha Radcliffe and Brittany Radcliffe as The Cousins
- Clarke Devereux as Officer Devereux
- Dan Charles Zulcoski as Pizza Boy
- Lynn Mansbach as French Woman
- Peter Siragusa as Lineman
- Alan Wider as Scranton Ticket Agent
- Hope Davis as French Ticket Agent
- Dianne B. Shaw as Airline Counter Person
- Tracy J. Connor as Cashier
- Jim Ryan as Jimmy
- Kenneth Hudson Campbell as Santa Claus
- Sandra Macat as Santa's Elf
- Mark Beltzman as Stosh
- Ann Whitney as Drugstore Clerk
- Richard J. Firfer as Store Manager
- Jim Ortleb as Herb
- Kate Johnson as Police Operator
- Michael Hansen and Peter Panteleo as Airport Drivers
- Jean Claude Sciore as French Gate Agent
- Monica Devereux as Flight Attendant
Edited for Television Edit
When it aired on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, NBC, AMC or ABC Family, some scenes were edited like:
- When Kevin asks Buzz if he could sleep in his room to avoid sleeping with Fuller (who wets the bed when given a lot to drink), Buzz usually says: "I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my ass!", but in some instances, he will say "I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my butt!".
- When Kevin asked if he could sleep in Buzz's room, Buzz called him a "phlegmwad" which means a jerk or prick.
- When Kevin tackled Buzz on spilled milk, Peter threw away Kevin's plane ticket.
- Even thought the McCallisters apparently flew from Chicago O'Hare to Paris-Orly, they actually landed at O'Hare.
- Even though Frank is acting like a jerk when he tells Peter, "you be positive, I be realistic", since their plane leaves in forty five minutes, he is actually right, it takes at least thirty minutes to get from Winnetka to O' Hare and they have fifteen people trying to make an international flight.
- When Kevin zip lined across his yard, it was clearly a stunt double.
- When Marv was walking through the snow, he was wearing rubber feet.
- Also, when Marv stepped on the ornaments, the ornaments were made out of glass candy.
- There is a cut scene were Rob and Georgette are welcoming the family with a poster but, the clan rushes through the sign, ripping it.
- When it shows Kevin on a sleigh about to ride out the front door, it is obvious that the angle Kevin is at should make him crash into the wall.
- When Kevin speeds out the front door on the sleigh, there is no way he can get a lot of elevation since the stairs leading up to the front door are very small.
- Catherine O'Hara revealed in 2014 that Macaulay Culkin still calls her "Mom."
- The picture Kevin finds of Buzz's girlfriend was a picture of a boy made up to look like a girl because director Chris Columbus thought it would be too cruel to tease a girl in that manner. The boy that was used in the photo was the art director's son.
- The movie that Kevin watches on video tape is not a real film, but footage specially created. It was called "Angels With Filthy Souls." Along with other similar era references in the movie, this is a play upon the movie Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) starring James Cagney.
- John Candy improvised all of his lines.
- Marv's lines, "Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken," and, "Maybe he committed suicide," were improvised by Daniel Stern.
- During rehearsal for the scene where Harry attempts to bite off Kevin's finger, Joe Pesci actually bit Macaulay Culkin, leaving only a small scar.
- Joe Pesci kept forgetting that he was filming a family movie during his character's on-screen outbursts, so director Chris Columbus advised him to say "fridge" instead of "fuck".
The bandits have fallen for Kevin's booby traps:
- Icy Stairs (front)
- Scorching Knob
- Blow Torch Entrance
- Wrapper Face & Feather Covering
- Bungee Trip
- Icy Stairs (back)
- Iron-Bulb Switch
- Tar Stairs & Nail Step
- Deadly Ornaments (this trap only works when bare-footed)
- Spider Face
- Gunshot Surprise
- Toy Car Slip
- Paint Can KO
- Wire Cut-Off